Tutorial: Sweeney Todd Inspired

Posted: February 26, 2011 in Dramatic, Tutorials

I can’t believe I haven’t watched this movie until now.  You know what that means… I now must draw blades and Sweeney Todd’s hair all over my face.  Maybe then he will marry me/kill me carelessly in a rage (you know I would thoroughly enjoy that).

Notes on the Process:

I don’t have much to say, I think I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.  Masking tape is your best friend!  By cutting it up and sticking it on your face, not only are you subjecting yourself to premature wrinkles, you give yourself a good framework for the rest of the look.  Not to mention it keeps things nice and neat!  You need to be able to unleash the Matisse for this look, basically.  Don’t freak out about it too much though.

Detailing comes later on – a good rule of thumb is to know when not to stop.  Which is never.  Keep going and going and detailing and perfecting until you have absolutely no time or patience left, you’re starving, your wife has left you, your children have grown old, and you really need to go the bathroom.  That’s the best advice I can give.

Notes on the Products:

I used quite an array of things, it would be useless and unhelpful to you if I just wrote out a list of all of them.

As you can see, the basic idea is that your lay down a thin layer of more tacky color and then apply your eyeshadow on top of that.  When I was a toddler, I had this tendency to smear my mom’s red lipstick all over my face and body.  Apparently, this practice hasn’t ended…  The main creme base colors I used were a red lipstick and NYX Black Bean Jumbo pencil, both applied with a lip brush.

The eye shadows came from a variety of different brands, but the main colors include Sugarpill’s Love+, Tako, and Bulletproof (matte red, white, and black), Fyrinnae’s Mephisto (shimmer burgundy with copper flash), and BF Beauty’s Golden Bronze (coppery brown).  I used a black liquid eyeliner along with white and silver pencil eyeliners.

Notes on Inspiration:

I was greatly inspired by all of the amazing imagery in the movie, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.  I particularly LOVE his hair (I want to bleach my hair like this!)… and so, I mean naturally, I thought to myself, “Hey why don’t you draw that killer dude’s hair all over your face?”  Duh!

Originally, I wanted the red stripes to resemble the little useless spinny things in front of barber shops (ya know what I”m talking about, right?)  Eventually though, I decided they would look better as blades with a backdrop of dripping blood, which I also badly wanted to incorporate.

So yeah, basically what I wanted to achieve with this look was Benjamin Barker on a face.  (I know, I’m a real normal kid)

Okay then! Questions in the comments below!
Until next time!
-Tomi

lolz

About these ads
Comments
  1. joyce says:

TOMI OH MY GOD

2. GEEZ WOMAN you always do the most amazing things with makeup! I’m so jealous of how talented you are :)

3. Mika Chan says:

Crazy, I absolutely love it! And, I love Sweeny Todd <3

4. Tracey says:

YOURE AMAZING!!!!!!!
    honestly if i ever need like a professional makeup job,i know who to call. holllla!!
    prom? :)

5. Marin says:

“Hey why don’t you draw that killer dude’s hair all over your face?”
    Haha! you make me giggle.

• mytigerlily says:

A normal thought process.. o_0 ehee, so somebody actually reads what I write! lol XD

• Marin says:

Well duh! You said the way I write is cute… but your writing is too! It gives me perpetual smiles. Speaking of which, I invented an origin story for Pixie Epoxy on my blog and spread rumors of aliens abducting eyeliner pens so you should go check it out sometime if you get the chance :P

6. HOLY SHEET
    I like it. And I’m glad you know to stop when you need to go to the bathroom. That’s…uh, comforting. When my mom decides that she no longer needs to hold my hand through life, I’ll watch this movie with you. Until then, I’ll just fantasize about a version starring YOU

• mytigerlily says:

hyekekekeke yee. I’m happy with that. Maybe you can write down the script for me to read and then I’ll act it out for you. And if you don’t want to see me act it out for you… I’ll tie you up and make you watch me. And YOU WILL LIKE IT!

7. Anh says:

omg that’s so amazing! i’m so envous of ur creativity and skills. You’re so unique. I love it

8. Evelyn says:

OMG you have mad skills! so jealous!

9. Auds says:

I LOVE THIS! Very original idea, super kudos!

-Audfaced